IEA EBC Annex 70 – Building Energy Epidemiology
Welcome to the website for the International Energy Agency (IEA) for Energy in Buildings and Communities (EBC) Annex 70 – Building Energy Epidemiology: Analysis of real building energy use at scale.
Annex 70 was approved to enter into the Operation phase by the Executive Committee in November 2017.
What is Annex 70?
Annex 70 is an international collaboration of researchers, industry and government from across the globe who are working to develop methods for improving the empirical evidence on energy demand in the building stock.
What will Annex 70 do?
Annex 70 will focus on identifying, reviewing, evaluating and producing leading edge methods for studying and modelling the building stock including: data collection techniques on energy use, building features and occupant features, and building morphology; analysis of smart meter energy data, building systems, and user behaviour; and modelling energy demand among sub-national and national building stocks.
The Annex focuses on the analyses of real building energy use at scale and the emerging field of energy epidemiology, which seeks to develop robust approaches to such analyses.
The purpose of the Annex is to support member countries in the task of developing realistic transition pathways to dramatic reductions in energy use and carbon emissions associated with their buildings by:
- Comparing across the national approaches to developing building stock data sets, building stock models, and to addressing the energy performance gap in order to identify lessons that can be learned and shared;
- Establishing best practice in the methods used for gathering and analysing real building energy use data; and,
- Evaluating the scope for using real building energy use data at scale to inform policy making and to support industry in the development of low energy and low carbon solutions
Who is Annex 70?
Our Annex 70 Partners (by country) are:
- Wollongong University – Sustainable Building Research Centre
- Aalborg University – Danish Building Research Institute
- Waseda University – Faculty of Science and Engineering
- Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- The Netherlands
- United Kingdom
- United States
Annex 70 Mailing List
Sign up to the Annex 70 mailing list here
We would also like to acknowledge support from the RCUK Centre for Energy Epidemiology (EP/K011839/1).
We would like to acknowledge support for this IEA Annex proposal workshop that has been provided by the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office in the USA under the UK Science & Innovation Network Global Partnerships Fund (GPF-15).